Other Employment Opportunities
You don’t have to be a police officer to work for the Alexandria Police Department. APD offers several employment opportunities including communications officer and police records clerk. Find out more about these non-officer related careers here:
Communications officers are trained in the operation of the CAD SYSTEM (computer-aided dispatch), police radio system and the state computer. Applicants seeking employment should be able to multi-task, think quickly, calmly and accurately while handling emergencies. They must have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with the public as well as fellow employees.
Applicants seeking employment must be able to exercise discretion, on and off duty, while handling and maintaining confidential and personal information obtained in performance of job duties. They must have the ability to maintain effective working relationships with public officials, other employees, and the public in a courteous and tactful manner.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
PASS THE TEST
For employment purposes, all applicants must have taken and passed the Louisiana Jailer Exam. Information of the testing process can be found at the Louisiana Office of the State Examiner.
English Comprehension Exam
Polygraph / C.V.S.A. Examination
Medical Examination / Drug Screen
- 18 years old or over
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must possess one of the following: high school diploma, high school equivalency certificate, high school transcript, affidavit from the issuing high school, associate’s or bachelor’s degree, or college transcript, any one of which must indicate that graduation has occurred or a degree awarded. A certification of completion shall not be sufficient to substitute for a diploma or equivalency certificate.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License
- Score 75% or higher on the Civil Service Exam
- No significant criminal history
*The Alexandria Police Department in an Equal Opportunity Employer*
Vacation is earned at the following rate:
- 1 year but less than 10 years = 180 working hours
- 10 years but less than 15 years = 216 working hours
- 15 years but less than 20 years = 240 working hours
- 20 years or more = 264 working hours
*The initial earning of leave and future increases will begin on the first day of the first pay period after completion of 1 year of continuous service and thereafter the applicable continuous service anniversary date.
Employees with the Alexandria Police Department belong to the Municipal Police Employees Retirement System (MPERS). The current retirement plan is:
- 2.5% accrual rate
- 5 year or 60 month average final compensation
- 25 years of service at any age – Regular Retirement
- 12 years of service at age 55 – Regular Retirement
- 20 years of service at any age reduced from 55 – Early Retirement
- 30 years of service shall equal 3 1/3% of average final compensation
- DROP/IBO must be eligible for regular retirement only to participate
View more information on MPERS.
College Tuition Assistance Program
The City of Alexandria recognizes the importance of education and offers an excellent tuition reimbursement program to its officers.
GLOCK 9-mm-caliber handgun, uniforms, ballistic vest, ballistic shield package, all leather gear and rain gear.
Each employee is entitled to sick leave with full pay for any illness or injury, not brought about by his own negligence or culpable indiscretion, which prevents his attendance at duty for a period of 52 weeks.
Health insurance is extended to police officers/employees. The City of Alexandria pays 85% of police officers/employees health insurance. Vision and dental plans are available.
Free Basic Life Benefit: $10,000 plus an additional $10,000 accidental death benefit
*The City of Alexandria provides life insurance for the police officer
Employee Assistance Program
We offer a voluntary, work-based program that offers free and confidential assessments, short-term counseling, referrals, and follow-up services to employees who have personal and/or work-related issues.
The City of Alexandria offers an employee the opportunity to become a member of 457 deferred compensation plan program. This is a pre-tax dollar plan that is designed to supplement retirement income.
The City of Alexandria recognizes 11 holidays per year. These holidays are listed below:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
Any new holidays proclaimed by the City Council